- Do I Qualify for STARS and/or IFLE?
Competitive high school applicants will have a minimum SAT score of 1350 (Critical Reading and Math) or an ACT score of 31 (Composite) in addition to a minimum GPA of 3.800 on a 4.0 scale or a rank within the top 10% of their graduating class.
- Application Checklist
- High school seniors must first apply to Indiana University and have the completed IU application on file by November 1. Be sure to indicate a science or math major within the College of Arts & Sciences.
- Once admitted, students who are academically eligible will receive an invitation to complete a Selective Scholarship Application (SSA).
- Complete the SSA by December 15 - be sure to check the box indicating your interest in STARS and/orIFLE.
The Selective Scholarship Applications are the only applications used to select STARS and IFLE participants.
- Make Your Application Stand Out!
- Show your passion for research throughout your application.
- Select references that know you well, preferably from STEM teachers. If you have worked in a research lab, your lab mentor is your best reference!
- The research essay is a very important component of your application. Be sure to submit a thoughtful essay with compelling reasons as to why you should be accepted.
- Acceptance Timeline
- February - Finalists selected and notified
- March - Finalists interviews
- March - STARS offers with final mentor selections made
- April 25 - Decision deadline for STARS offer acceptance
- March – IFLE offers made
- April – IFLE Campus Visit Days (optional), dates to be determined
- April 25 – Decision deadline for IFLE offer acceptance
- Important Dates
- November 1 – Deadline to submit IU application to be considered for SSA.
- December 15 – Deadline to submit SSA with STARS and/or IFLE box checked.
- January 15 – Deadline for submission of SSA recommendation letters.
Note: Students who are interested in STARS and/or IFLE and who do not receive an invitation to complete an SSA may petition for the opportunity to complete an SSA by sending an email request to email@example.com. The deadline for this petition is December 1.