The Science, Technology, and Research Scholars (STARS) program offers you four years of faculty-mentored research experience in all College science disciplines. In addition to research experience you will be offered opportunities to participate in professional development activities, summer scholarships, and ongoing support from OSO and a community of peers.
Explore opportunities in STARS
Current IU Student Information
- IU Freshmen and Sophomores Can Apply!
Current freshmen and sophomores can apply to STARS by contacting the Administrative Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. We require that students complete 1-2 semesters of coursework and major in one of the sciences within the College. You should make efforts to explore faculty with whom you’d like to work, interview with STARS Directors and selected faculty, and secure a faculty member’s sponsorship. STARS Directors will consider information gathered by your application, academic performance at IU, personal statements, and interviews.
- Current STAR Scholars Information
- STARS Student Handbook
- Semester Reports
Each semester, STARS Scholars are required to submit a report to their mentor and the STARS staff. This is set-up as an assignment on Canvas.
- Ethics Training
All first year STARS Scholars are required to complete an online ethics training course during the fall semester. The tutorial will help scholars navigate through the training.
- Summer Research Scholarships
2017 Summer Research Scholarship application will be uploaded soon. Notification of the new extended deadline for 2017 will be given via Canvas Announcements.
STARS students who plan to continue their research during the summer may apply for financial support from the STARS program. There are a limited number of scholarships available on a competitive basis.
Amount of Scholarship: up to $3000 paid into the student's bursar account. A full scholarship requires a minimum requirement of 40 hours per week for 10 weeks.
Eligibility and Information
- Must be a current STARS student in good academic standing and in good standing in the lab (must not be on probation)
- Must agree to perform full-time research (40 hours per week) on campus in their mentor’s lab for 10 weeks
- May enroll in summer courses as long as the student still puts in 40 hours in the lab each week
- Must plan to enroll full time as an undergraduate student for the following fall semester
- May have no other sources of support during the summer (i.e. Capstone recipients, Beckman Scholars, etc. are not eligible)
- Agree to present the supported summer research, in poster and abstract form, at the STARS reception in the fall
- Students planning to go abroad in the fall semester following the summer research are eligible to receive funding; they must submit their abstract and poster in advance for display at the fall reception
- 2016-2017 STARS Calendar
Fall Semester 2016
- December 5, 2016
Semester Report due
Note: All first-year scholars are encouraged make an appointment to meet with the Director of the STARS program during the fall semester.
Spring Semester 2017
- January 1, 2017
Travel Scholarship Applications due
- February 27, 2017
Symposium Abstracts are due
- March 1 – 7, 2017
The STAR Scholar Advisory Committee, made up of junior and senior STARS reviews and selects symposium IU STARS speakers
- March 10, 2017
Applications due for summer research scholarships
- April 8, 2017 in Jordan Hall Atrium
IU STARS Spring Research Symposium
- Mid/Late Spring
Research/Career Talk and/or Professional Development Events
- April 24, 2017
Spring semester online report due if you did not submit an abstract and present a poster at the symposium.
- May 1, 2017
Travel Scholarship Application due
Through my experience in STARS and IFLE, I have gained lab skills, presentation skills, and analytical thinking skills. Now that I am finishing the research process with the publication of a paper, I have seen the entire research process and understand the persistence that is required to make a meaningful contribution to a field of science.Tyler Barnes